Early 1930s: Texas Technological College faculty and other local Methodists see a need for a college church.
1939: Bishop Ivan Lee Holt announced a new Methodist Church would be established in Lubbock, primarily to serve faculty and students of Texas Technological College. The new church would be located at 26th Street and College Avenue. However, several Methodist faculty members felt that was not a suitable location for a college church. A petition was drawn up requesting the Bishop and District Superintendent to consider a site nearer the campus.
It was announced in the fall that a lot had been purchased at the corner of 14th Street and Avenue X. Preston Smith, who would become a charter member of the new church, was approached about lending the Tech Theater at College Avenue and 13th Street for services until a building could be built. The fledgling church was named St. John’s, perhaps in honor of Bishop Holt’s home church in St. Louis, Missouri.
The first service was held at the theater on December 10, 1939. About 65 people attended the service.